Social Media and Your Jimdo Website
Today, no website feels complete without some integration with your various social media profiles. Whether you're just starting with Facebook or you're familiar with every network from Twitter to Tuenti, this article will help you start adding social media icons and buttons to your website.
Follow Buttons vs. Share Buttons
There are typically two types of social media buttons: following and sharing.
A Follow Button is usually an icon that links directly to your own social media profiles, and encourages people to follow you. Most people put Follow Buttons on their homepage, Contact page, or in their sidebar.
A Share Button usually goes on a blog post or store item page, and lets people easily share the link with their followers.
Creating your own Follow Buttons
Many Jimdo websites feature icons on the homepage or sidebar that link directly to social media profiles. If you want to add social media icons for Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Flickr, or any number of other social media channels, this option can work for you.
- First, download the free icons of your choice from a site like flaticons.net or iconmonstr.com. These sites have all the basic social media icons available for free, and lets you choose the color, opacity, size, and shape. If you're looking for something even more stylized, check out some of our favorite resources for free icons. We recommend downloading the icons as .PNG files.
- Upload each icon into a Photo Element. For best results, center the image.
- In the Photo Element settings, press the chain icon to add the link to your social media profile.
- If you want the icons to sit side-by-side, put the Photo Elements into a Columns Element.
Adding Share Buttons to your website
There are a couple of different ways to add share buttons to your website with Jimdo's tools:
Use the Share Button Element: With this element, you can select from a list of social media networks and customize the size and shape of the
icons. When a visitor clicks on one of these buttons, they'll be prompted to share a link to your webpage through their own account.
Activate Pinterest Sharing on your images: When you put an image into a Photo Element, click on the Enable Pinterest Sharing button. This will add a little "Pin It"
signal to the top right of your photo, making it really easy for people to add your image to one of their Pinterest Boards.
Share and Follow Buttons from AddThis
Many Jimdo customers really like the Share and Follow Buttons available from AddThis. This service provides lots of designs and layouts, many of which are free. As an added bonus, they provide tracking and analytics so you can see how often the buttons are used.
When you follow the directions on their site, you'll be provided with a bit of custom website code. Copy and paste this code into a Widget/HTML Element on your Jimdo site, and voila! Even more sharing options.
Showing a social media feed on your website
In addition to buttons and icons, you might want to show your most recent posts/tweets right on your website.
- Add a Twitter Feed: Use the Twitter Element to display your most recent tweets. You'll need to connect your Twitter account to your Jimdo website first.
- Add a Facebook Feed: Use the Facebook Element to add a Facebook Box to your website, then select the Stream option.
- Add an Instagram Feed: While there's no built-in option here, it's easy to add this using our Widget/HTML Element and the code from a third-party tool like Snapwidget or Powr.io.
Add a Pinterest Board: Use Pinterest's own Widget Builder to generate the correct HMTL code (choose the "Board" option), then add this
code to a Widget/HTML Element to embed a Pinterest board directly on your site.
If there are other social media outlets you'd like to integrate with your website, get in touch with our Support Team and they'll recommend the right tool for you!